Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Reflections on my PhD topic, from someone who knows what he's talking about

I received the following reply to an email passed along to a family friend / Episcopalian Minister regarding the new direction my PhD research has taken. These are his wise words:

For technology to be spiritual it would have to provoke projection. Ritual and sacrament are engines of projection realized or not. When people say things like "I love my Droid" or "I love my iPad" more than likely the use of those items invite a projection of self in some way. It would call for a journey into depth psychology to plot that course. A spiritually engaged technology just could begin the movement of humanity away from thinking of spirituality as engaging the Cosmic Muffin or The Great Spaghetti Monster or God or whatever you want to name IT to a much more basic reflection upon ways to expand consciousness of self and surroundings. This is the practical goal of spirituality as opposed to the goal of scaring the beeJesus out of people about hell and thus making them easy targets for institutional manipulation.

No comments:

Post a Comment