Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Someone's been eavesdropping on my thoughts!

I stumbled across this on Boing Boing: a device that allows users to upload photographs linked to specific locations (a "digital time machine") via Google Maps and Streetview. It is called History Pin.

Not that I'm claiming any infringement on my IPR, but I totally had this idea last winter. My idea was to link socially relevant or interesting information to location by a fancy-schmancy bangle. Users would join communities of interest then get alerts from fellow community members who had posted interesting information about location as you pass through tagged spaces; effectively users would collectively create stories about their world, which would produce something analogous to Google Streetview but which I called "StoryView." My motivation was to think of a digital technology that could enhance social cohesion and connection, as well as serve to enspirit a physical object, e.g. a piece of jewellery.

History Pin similarly encourages creative storytelling activity and encourages intergenerational sharing. I dig it.

No comments:

Post a Comment